Elder Law Firm

Practice Areas

Gloersen Law, P.L.Ms. Gloersen is committed to finding legal solutions to protect the people and things you treasure most.

When the health, well-being and resources of you, your loved ones, or your family is at stake, you want a capable, compassionate elder law attorney to advocate for you and resolve any concerns.

Contact Gloersen Law, P.L. today for assistance regarding:

Estate Planning

Brittany made the set-up of our Estate planning very easy. She answered all our questions and took the time to do the proper research, responding in a proper and timely manner. I would recommend her anytime. ~ Maria

While it's never pleasant to address issues of illness, old age or sudden death (especially if you’re healthy and enjoying life), confronting these topics and planning for what’s to come should be one of your highest priorities.

No matter what age you are or how healthy you may be, it is extremely important to create your estate plan early and it’s best to revisit it often, as your assets fluctuate and your relationships have the potential to change.

In life we learn to expect the unexpected, but with the guidance of the right elder law attorney you can establish security for yourself and your loved ones.

Ms. Gloersen develops a long-term relationship with each of her clients and their families. With her guidance, understanding and expertise, she assists clients with all facets of estate planning, including:

  • Wills and Trusts
    • Special Needs Trusts
    • Pet Trusts
  • Durable Power of Attorney for Finances
  • Health Care Surrogate
  • Living Will
  • Medical Authorization

For more information on Estate Planning, contact Gloersen Law at (386) 734-3451.

Wills & Trusts

A will helps assure that your wishes are carried out when the time comes to distribute your assets and settle your estate. The drafting of a will also names an individual you trust to oversee the process.

A Revocable Living Trust is another estate planning option that can minimize complications in the event of your death. If you wish to help your loved ones avoid probate after you pass, a Revocable Living Trust can be extremely beneficial.

Ms. Gloersen can help determine the estate planning options that are best for you and your family.

If you are seeking legal representation, or have questions about establishing a will or trust, contact Gloersen Law, P.L. at (386) 734-3451.

Special Needs Trusts

The goal of a Special Needs Trust is to protect one’s financial assets, while still maintaining eligibility for assistance like Medicaid and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for the high cost of care.

Ms. Gloersen can help you provide for yourself, a disabled child or family member with a self-settled, third party or pooled Special Needs Trust.

Ms. Gloersen is energetic and confident in her efforts to find a way for disabled individuals and their families to pay for the high costs associated with quality living assistance and medical care, so they may preserve their assets for needs not covered by public aid.

For more information on Special Needs Trusts, contact Gloersen Law at (386) 734-3451


When my mother was faced with the task of sorting my stepdad's estate out and anticipating her own "solo" future, Ms. Gloersen was an essential part of that process. My mother is aging, physically disabled and potentially vulnerable. As her attorney Brittany helped my mother bring closure to one part of her life and plan for her future needs. I highly recommend Brittany Gloersen as an attorney for estate issues, elder planning, and general legal counsel. ~ Cynthia

If you're facing probate matters in the wake of the deceased, Ms. Gloersen will thoughtfully and efficiently handle the process until the estate is closed.

There are two options for administering an estate: by Formal Administration and by Summary Administration. In addition to these forms, there is a more simple proceeding called Disposition of Personal Property without Administration.

The most involved of the three Probate proceedings, a Formal Administration can take 6-12 months or more to complete. Summary Administration is a less complex, less time-consuming form of estate administration. Pursuant to F.S. § 735.201, Summary Administration may be used when it the value of the entire estate subject to administration does not appear to exceed $75,000.00 or the decedent of the estate has been dead for more than 2 years.

Pursuant to F.S. § 735.301, Disposition of Personal Property without Administration can be used when the value of the decedent’s assets does not exceed the sum of the amount of funeral expenses—as well as reasonable and necessary medical expenses incurred within the last 60 days of the decedent’s last illness. This proceeding does not require the assistance of an attorney.

Whether your probate needs involve a simple Summary Administration, a more complex Formal Administration or no administration at all, the detailed legal process of administering an estate calls for the guidance and representation of a highly skilled probate attorney.

For more information on probate proceedings, contact Gloersen Law, P.L. today: (386) 734-3451.


She is tireless in her efforts to win her case and protect her clients. As a Professional Guardian, I have worked with multiple attorneys. Mrs. Gloersen is an attorney I would chose again and again in my line of work. ~ Martha

The need to seek guardianship may arise for a number of reasons, among those:


Guardianship of an incapacitated person involves a legal proceeding that safeguards incapacitated persons and their property by transferring all or certain rights from them to a guardian. The Court can appoint a guardian of the person, property or both, depending on the incapacitated person’s condition. A guardian of the person is responsible for making sure the incapacitated person is properly cared for and protected from exploitation and/or self-neglect. A guardian of the property is in charge of the incapacitated person’s finances. Ms. Gloersen represents family and professional guardians of incapacitated persons who suffer from dementia, Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia, developmental disabilities and other incapacity disorders.

Minor Guardianship

Pursuant to Florida Statute Section 744.3025 Claims of Minors, if a minor receives more than $15,000.00 from a claim for personal injury, property damage, wrongful death, or other cause of action, a guardianship will be necessary to oversee the child’s Settlement proceeds. Ms. Gloersen represents guardians of minors who as a result of litigation from car accidents, dog bites, vaccine injuries, or other personal injury cases received more than $15,000.00.

Ms. Gloersen can help you attain the legal guardianship of a child or adult in need. For questions about guardianship contact Gloersen Law, P.L. at (386) 734-3451.

Guardian Advocacy

Unlike Guardianship proceedings, Guardian Advocate proceedings do not require that the individual be declared incapacitated for a Guardian Advocate to be appointed. Guardian Advocate proceedings require that the Ward be diagnosed with a developmental disorder, such as mental retardation, autism, cerebral palsy, spina bifida or Prader-Willi syndrome, prior to the age of 18, constituting a lifelong handicap.

When a developmentally disabled child reaches the age of 18, parents are immediately at risk of losing the ability to make life care decisions concerning the disabled person’s finances, medical care and life care.

Through Guardian Advocate proceedings, Ms. Gloersen can help you or a loved one maintain the ability to make life care decisions for a developmentally disabled person.

Medicaid Planning

My husband had dementia and is aggressive, Brittany Gloersen walked me through the Medicaid application without any problems. Even when we had to change nursing homes in the middle of the application she took care of the problems so I did not have to worry. She was not only working for my husband but concerned about my wellbeing as well. I would highly recommend using Brittany Gloersen for any legal problems that come up. She has vast knowledge of the laws and works very hard to quickly and efficiently resolve any legal issues. ~ Elane

As we grow old our physical and mental abilities continuously decline, and at some point the need for medical assistance and daily care becomes inevitable. If you or a family member has a disability, a debilitating condition or special needs, finances are likely to become an unwelcome issue.

Without long-term care insurance and proper planning, a person’s assets will be extinguished in order to pay for the high costs of care. Unfortunately, spouses and families can be left destitute in the process, unless proper planning is undertaken.

Medicaid planning consists of taking action legally to restructure assets in order to obtain Medicaid eligibility, which helps pay for the high costs related to long-term care and medical assistance.

Through Medicaid planning, Ms. Gloersen does everything in her power to prevent a well spouse from becoming impoverished in order to pay for the skilled care of their institutionalized partner.

Ms. Gloersen will guide you through the Medicaid planning process to ensure you get the affordable care you require if your health declines or the needs of an impaired loved one should increase. She is well-versed in a range of government benefit matters, including Medicaid, Medicare and Veterans’ Benefits.

For more information on Medicaid Planning and government benefits, contact Gloersen Law at (386) 734-3451.

Life Care Planning

I like the professionalism Brittany had when taking on my guardianship case. She has an ICARE attitude, where I - Integrity in the work she does, C - Caring by helping me out with any problem I had concerning the case, A - Available at all times in helping me with questions and issues surrounding the case, R - Resourceful in finding information in a timely manner, E - Effective in providing information to the courts and me. ~ Al

As a compassionate elder law firm, Gloersen Law is dedicated to confronting the range of challenges faced by seniors and the disabled.

The right Life Care Plan meets those challenges head-on, relieving many pitfalls of facility placement, financial planning and the acquisition of in-home care and quality care giving.

Ms. Gloersen's approach to Life Care Planning assures her clients receive the acquisition of in-home care along with quality care giving.

With a range of experience and familiarity with elder care, disabled and senior resources in Florida, Ms. Gloersen locates public and private sources with a dedicated mission to help her clients handle long term care costs.

For more information on Life Care Planning, contact Gloersen Law at (386) 734-3451.

Veterans' Benefits

Veterans’ Benefits are available for senior veterans and their spouses, provided the veteran or surviving spouse meets eligibility requirements.

General Requirements for Veterans' Benefits:

A veteran must have served at least 90 days or more of active duty to qualify for benefits. One of those days must have been during a wartime period including, but not limited to, World War II, the Korean conflict, the Vietnam era and the Gulf War. Additionally, the veteran must not have been dishonorably discharged. The surviving spouse of a veteran may also benefit from veterans’ benefits programs so long as he or she was married to the veteran at the time of his or her death and does not subsequently remarry.

There are two types of benefits available: service connected benefits and non-service connected benefits. If a Veteran meets the requirements above, and becomes disabled as a result of an injury sustained during active service, the veteran will be qualified to receive service connected benefits.

There are two programs available for senior veterans and their spouses for non-service connected benefits: 1) VA pension and 2) Aid and Attendance. In addition to the requirements above, the veteran or his or her surviving spouse, must meet certain income and assets requirements. To qualify for the Aid and Attendance program, the Veteran must also need assistance with activities of daily living (dressing, transferring, medication management and etc.). Often the pension or Aid and Attendance benefits can be enough to pay for in-home assistance or an Assisted Living Facility.

Ms. Gloersen is an accredited attorney with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and can help you determine if you or a loved one qualifies for veterans’ benefits.

For more on Veterans' Benefits, contact Ms. Gloersen today: (386) 734-3451.

Stewart-Marchman Act Proceedings

The Stewart-Marchman-Act works to provide healthcare and treatment programs to mentally ill and addicted persons in Flagler, Putnam, St. Johns, and Volusia counties. The program provides:

  • Family Education Programs
  • Anger Management Treatment
  • Suicide Prevention
  • Work and Life Skills
  • Mental Health First Aid
  • Crisis Intervention Training
  • And more

The mission of Stewart-Marchman-Act Behavioral Healthcare is to better Florida communities by treating persons with severe mental turmoil and/or dangerous addiction sympathetically, respectfully and promptly.

To learn more about the Stewart-Marchman Act, visit the organization's website.

Visit For more information on Stewart-Marchman Act Proceedings, contact Ms. Gloersen today: (386) 734-3451.